How to Prepare A Dog Emergency Kit
Hopefully you and your pet never experience a disaster, but it’s better to be prepared than to be caught off guard. It’s good to have a system in place if the unexpected happens. These tips will help you make sure that you’re ready for anything.
Before Disaster Hits
Follow these six simple ways to prepare before disaster strikes:
- Make sure your dog’s license is up-to-date, and he’s wearing his tags.
- Designate a person who your pet trusts to go and check on him should a disaster strike when you’re not home.
- Call your local emergency management office and ask if evacuation centers near you allow dogs.
- Have your pet microchipped.
- Update your home emergency kit so that it includes supplies for your dog.
- Put a sticker on an outward-facing window that alerts emergency professionals of any pets in the house.
Your Dog Emergency Kit
Speaking of adding pet supplies to your home emergency kit, items to include for your best friend include:
- Water bottles
- An extra dog leash
- Canned dog food
- Trash bags
- Your dog’s paperwork, including recent vaccinations, licenses and pet insurance
- A handful of toys to help them stay occupied
- A recent photo of your pup
in case an evacuation is required down the road.
Sometimes the authorities will advise you to stay home rather than evacuate. In this case, be sure to keep all hazardous materials out of reach, and keep your dog occupied with toys or with petting to calm him down. If the heating in your home is down, use blankets to keep him or her warm.
More General Tips
Never leave your dog alone in emergencies. If the situation isn’t safe for you, it’s not safe for him. Some natural disasters can move wild animals into residential areas. So be sure to check your yard for any stowaways. And before letting your dog outside, check your yard for debris that might be harmful to him or her. But most importantly, remember in case of an emergency to stay calm. Your pet will take behavior cues from you and follow suit
Sometimes old dogs can’t chomp a treat like they used to. Learn about soft dog treats for senior dogs and shop all Pup-Peroni® flavors today.
Ever wish your best buddy could help you celebrate with a high five? Turns out he can! Teach your dog to high five you with these high five dog training tips.
Learn about the best foods and treats for dogs with no teeth at Pup-Peroni® brand.