Are These 8 Common Dog Toxins in Your Home?

Are These 8 Common Dog Toxins in Your Home?

Spring is here, but with it comes some things you didn't are harmful to your dog. Read to find out the eight common pet toxins that might be in your home.

Spring is a season full of cleaning house and planting flowers, but some of the things that make the season bright are secretly dog toxins. Keep an eye out for the hidden dangers that may be lurking in or around your home.

Lilies

Lilies are a flower often considered synonymous with springtime. Your cat, however, may not realize that for him, they’re synonymous with an upset stomach. Lilies can cause kitties intestinal distress and can even lead to kidney damage, so make sure to put those spring bouquets well out of reach.

Succulents

Succulents may be all the rage these days, but some varieties, like aloe vera and jade plants, can be poisonous to animals. Keep in mind that “the dose makes the poison,” so check with your vet on how much is a dangerous amount.

Liquid potpourri

Liquid potpourri, like the kind you put into stick diffusers or plug-ins, is harmful to dogs and cats if ingested. They can be corrosive to a pet’s mouth and stomach so consider an alternative, like a more natural deodorizer, to freshen up your home.

Weed killers

Weeds may be a pest in your garden, but weed killers can be a pest to your pet. Some herbicides can have a salty taste to them, which animals sometimes mistake for a tasty treat. Make sure to keep pets away from freshly sprayed areas.

Flea medicine

Flea medicine is a safe way to keep your pet itch-free. However, your pet can get really sick if he takes the wrong kind (for example, if you give your cat flea meds meant for dogs, or vice versa). Only give your pet flea medication that fits his species and keep all kinds of medicine − animal and human − out of reach.

Tulip bulbs

If you have a dog that likes to dig, she may accidentally come across the “buried treasure” of tulip bulbs. They are toxic to dogs and can cause severe damage to nerves and intestines. Always keep your dog’s “digging expeditions” closely supervised.

Household cleaners

Cleaning supplies like bleach and detergents can be harmful to your pet if he smells or tastes them. A good rule of thumb when it comes to most cleaners is, “If it would make your kid sick, it’ll make your pet sick!”

Rodenticide

Rat poison attracts the pesky rodents in your home, but keep in mind it may attract less pesky critters − like your favorite pet. Eating rodenticides can give cats and dogs seizures and can sometimes lead to internal bleeding. Be extra careful about where you place those traps.

If your dog or cat accidentally ingests one of these common toxins, make sure to contact a vet near you or an animal poison hotline right away.

Related Articles